June 6th, 2021, in the 2nd period of Game 4 against the Colorado Avalanche. That’s the last time the Golden Knights have scored a power play goal. Since, they’ve played eight playoff games and five regular season games for a total 826 minutes and 12 seconds of hockey.
It’s gotten so bad, and doesn’t seem like it’s going to get any better any time soon, I figured it was time to look up every power play stat I can think of so we have the answers ready as the streak continues and for the moment it finally comes to a close.
Because this is all so pathetic, instead of trying to make this a composed article, you get a series of bullet points.
- VGK have started the season 0 for 11 on the power play.
- 0 for 28 on the power play dating back to last postseason.
- 19:18 of PP time this season, 34:03 in the playoffs last year for 49:21 since VGK scored a PP goal
- VGK have recorded 43 shots on goal since last scoring on the power play
- 20 this season, 23 last postseason
- Current streaks
- 0 for 28 (0%)
- 1 for 36 (2.78%)
- 2 for 41 (4.88%)
- 4 for 54 (7.41%)
- VGK have experienced 0 for 16 droughts twice, both in 2018-19
- The first one was to open the season. They went six games without scoring a power play goal.
- The second one was in the middle of the season, they went 6-0-0 while going 0 for 16 on the PP.
- How many power plays to start season before VGK score (counting the one they scored on)
- 2017-18: 13
- 2018-19: 17
- 2019-20: 1
- 2021: 11
- 2021-22: 11* (and counting)
- Power Play percentages by season
- 2017-18: 21.0%
- Playoffs: 18.5%
- 2018-19: 16.8%
- Playoffs: 27.6%
- 2019-20: 22.0%
- Playoffs: 18.2%
- 2021: 16.7%
- Playoffs: 9.3%
- 2021-22: 0.0%
- 2017-18: 21.0%
- Not only is VGK the only team to have failed to score a power play goal this season, but every other NHL team has at least 2.
- The longest recorded power play drought in NHL history is a bit of a mystery but is believed to be 51 by the Toronto Maple Leafs
- In 2014 the Florida Panthers reached 43
- The San Jose sharks reached 41 in 1997
*If there are any other stats you’d like me to look up to add to this, please post them in the comments or tag us with them on social media.*