NBC announcers Joe Micheletti and Pierre McGuire used words like panic, upset and frustrated to describe the Golden Knights in Game 1. In the first period, Micheletti even said “Winnipeg is the quicker team” and he wasn’t wrong, at that time. The Jets deserve a ton of credit jumping on Vegas early and winning the series opener.
However, outside of the first twenty minutes of play, the final numbers tell a different story. The Golden Knights average game stats were all out of whack but can take away some positives.
Shots on goal
VGK – 21
WPG – 26
- Vegas tied their lowest SOG total over the entire regular season and postseason
- First game this season without a shot from Erik Haula, Colin Miller, James Neal and David Perron
- First game since 2/21 (loss at Wild) that James Neal failed to register a shot on net
- Colin Miller now has four postseason games without a shot on net
- David Perron has three postseason games without a shot on net
VGK – 11
WPG – 14
- Third highest total of giveaways in a playoff
- Vegas is 1-3 when they turn the puck over 10+ times in a game