This season the Golden Knights are allowing 3.04 goals per game. Which places them 15th in the NHL. On the flip side Vegas is 17th, scoring 3.04 per game. The exact amount of goals that they let in. That’s a problem.
Over an 82-game season, a team holding opponents to under 3 goals a game will have a good chance for future success. Likewise, teams scoring 3+ goals per game have a strong chance of clinching a playoff berth.
Top 10: Goals Scored Per Game
- Florida 3.67- Playoff Position
- Colorado 3.65- Playoff Position
- Tampa 3.60- Playoff Position
- Toronto 3.57- Playoff Position
- Washington 3.55- Playoff Position
- Boston 3.31- Playoff Position
- Pittsburgh 3.30- Playoff Position
- Nashville 3.30- Out of Playoffs
- NY Rangers 3.29- Out of Playoffs
- Vancouver 3.24- Out of Playoffs
***17th Vegas 3.04- Playoff Position***
Vegas is averaging just below the league average of 3.05 goals scored per game. Only three other Western conference teams projected to participate in the playoffs score less. However, all three have a better win% and give up less than Vegas.
- Vegas 3.04 Goals For/3.04 Goals Against
- Arizona 2.76 Goals For/2.65 Goals Against
- Calgary 2.60 Goals For/2.94 Goals Against
- Dallas 2.56 Goals For/2.46 Goals Against
While it’s rare, a team can succeed scoring less than Vegas because of their positive goal differential. Dallas may be 27th in scoring but they’re first in the league in goals allowed. Same goes for Arizona, who’s fifth in the league in goals against. Sure it maybe boring, but those teams have identities.
Top 10: Goals Allowed Per Game
- Dallas 2.46- Playoff Position
- Columbus 2.51- Playoff Position
- Boston 2.51- Playoff Position
- Carolina 2.64- Playoff Position
- Arizona 2.65- Playoff Position
- NY Islanders 2.65- Playoff Position
- St. Louis 2.67- Playoff Position
- Pittsburgh 2.72- Playoff Position
- Tampa 2.85- Playoff Position
- Washington 2.90- Playoff Position
*** 15th Vegas 3.04- Playoff Position ***
Down the stretch Vegas will face 18 teams that score more than 3 goals, and 11 teams that allow less than 3 goals a game. This season opponents have scored 3+ goals in 30 games vs. Vegas. The Golden Knights are (5-20-5) in those games. Gulp.
On the bright side, the numbers look great when the good guys score three of their own. In 32 games, the Golden Knights are (22-6-4) when they score 3 or more.
With 30 games left on the schedule the answer is simple, the Golden Knights will have to either score more, allow less, or both. Duh.