For a league that’s been so coy about the possibility of expansion, it’s kind of amazing we know as much as we do about the potential expansion draft.
Each team can only protect one goalie, three defenseman and seven forwards. Players with No Movement Clauses are mandatorily protected. Players with No Trade Clauses aren’t. All players with two or fewer years of professional experience are exempt.
Well, now we’ve got a new one, and it’s one that was a part of many previous Expansion Drafts.
Among the previously unreleased details being distributed, as told to Sportsnet by multiple sources, is an experience criteria attached to the players each team leaves unprotected. A minimum of two forwards and one defenceman must be exposed who have played 40 games the previous season, or a total of 70 over the previous two. -Chris Johnston, Sportsnet.ca
It’s called the 40/70 rule, and it’s excellent for Las Vegas. It means that every single team in the league must leave at least a few experienced players allowing the new Vegas GM to pick and choose from an even stronger pool than the already strong pool we expected.
Deputy Commish Bill Daly has also said teams that do not follow the rules will be subject to strict penalties. More good stuff for us.
Johnston also clarified another rumor that’s been floating around since the Executive Committee meeting.
Players with no-movement clauses on deals that expire June 30, 2017 like Calgary Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman or Minnesota Wild forward Thomas Vanek wouldn’t have to be protected for a draft that is likely to be held a week or two beforehand. -Chris Johnston
That’s bad news for Vegas. The more mandatory protected players the better. This will allow a total of 18 of the 51 players with NMC’s to be free for expansion exposure. Scroll down about half way in this article to see the 18 players.
We already know one thing we’ll be told on June 22nd, wonder how much more of this kind of stuff we’ll learn as well.